Personality interview questions
Personality questions to ask job candidates:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are three character traits that your friends would use to describe you?
- What are three positive character traits you don’t have?
- What do you like to do?
- What are your lifelong dreams?
- What do you ultimately want to become?
- What is your personal mission statement?
- Tell me about your proudest achievement outside of work.
- Give me an example of a time you did something wrong. How did you handle it?
- What is your greatest achievement outside of work?
- If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
- What is the last book you read? What did you think of it?
- What magazines do you subscribe to?
- What’s the best movie you’ve seen in the last year?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- Who are your heroes?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What is your favorite memory from childhood?
- What is one thing you’d like to achieve in life?
Culture fit interview questions
Culture fit interview questions
Culture fit questions to ask job candidates:
- What does your ideal company look like?
- What attracted you to this company?
- What do you know about this industry?
- What do you know about our company?
- What is your ideal working environment?
- What kind of personalities do you work best with and why?
- What do you look for in terms of culture?
- What do you think of your previous boss?
- What will you miss about your present/last job?
- What are five things you disliked most about your last job?
- What are you ideal top qualities in a co-worker?
- If you could open a business, what would it be and why?
- What personality traits do you butt heads with?
- Describe your ideal company culture. What five characteristics does it have?
- Why do you want to work at this company and what are your expectations?
- Who inspires you and why?
- What’s your superpower?
- What motivates you to come into work every day?
- How do you rely on others to make you better?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Background and work experience interview questions
Work experience questions to ask job candidates:
- What types of jobs have you held in the past?
- What was your title at your current/previous/last job?
- What were your duties in that position?
- What did you like most/least about the position?
- Why are you leaving your present (or past) employer?
- What’s the most important thing you learned in school and/or at your last job?
- Why did you choose your major?
- If selected for this position, can you describe your strategy for the first 90 days?
- What is your understanding of the skills necessary to perform this job?
- What special training have you completed that qualifies you for this job?
- What certifications do you hold?
- Can you describe how to _____________ (fill in with essential job functions, repeating as many times as necessary to get a good idea of necessary job skills)?
- This job requires the ability to _____________ (fill in as stated above). Can you give me an example of a time that you have had to _____________ (restate requirement)?
Work habits and working style interview questions
Work habits and working style questions to ask job candidates:
- How would you describe your work style?
- What techniques and tools do you use to keep yourself organized?
- If you had to choose one, would you consider yourself a big-picture person or a detail-oriented person?
- What are your strengths as an employee?
- What are your weaknesses as an employee?
- When were you most satisfied in your job?
- What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?
- What were the responsibilities of your last position?
- Give me an example of a time that you felt you went above and beyond the call of duty at work.
- What was the last project you led, and what was its outcome?
- Can you describe a time when your work was criticized?
- How do you handle working with people who annoy you?
- Have you ever been on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it?
- If I were your supervisor and asked you to do something that you disagreed with, what would you do?
- Describe how you would handle a situation if you were required to finish multiple tasks by the end of the day, and there was no possible way that you could finish them.
- What did you dislike about your least favorite former supervisor and/or coworker?
- How would your previous co-workers describe you?
- Can you give me an example of a time you worked through a conflict with a coworker?
Career goal interview questions
Career goal questions to ask job candidates:
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why are you leaving your present job?
- What salary are you seeking?
- What’s your salary history?
- If I were to give you the salary you requested, but let you write your job description for the next year, what would it say?
- What are you looking for in terms of career development?
- How do you want to improve yourself in the next year?
- What kind of goals would you have in mind if you got this job?